Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Marissa's Bunny

Okay. Stop the presses.

I received a phone call from my brother.

That's not a reason to stop the presses, because I get a phone call from him everyday. "geophf, you still alive?" He's such a mother-hen, but for good reason: my cara spoza and the girls have been away for the last three months.

That's not the reason to stop the presses, either.

The reason to stop the presses is that he has just read the first book of the Twilight series.

Okay, I see you don't understand, so let me break it down for you.

He's a man.

He's a manly man.

He's a manly man who's idea of entertainment is shooting zombies or stuff in the face ... by the way, what's your zombie plan? Me, I've got 38 zombie plans!

He's a manly man that doesn't need to be reading girlie-girl novels about swooning girlie-girl's fantasies about hunky emo vamps.

But he did.

Stop the presses.

Now, the reason this big ole brother of mine read the first book is because he needed the context to be able to read my fan fiction story, "My Sister Rosalie" (MSR), a story he said he wouldn't be reading. Or, more correctly, he'd rather, I don't know, reread Moby Dick, a book that he called "pretentious, wordy and pointless" in his book report in his American Lit class (his professor gave him an "A" when a big red caveat indicating his disagreement with the conclusions of the report).

Why is my manly-man brother going to read MSR? Because underneath that gruff exterior is a sweet little teddy bear. Or, more correctly, a bunny.

See, he doesn't need to be doing any of this because he's got other things on his plate, like, for example, he has a daughter with infantile spasms with medical bills running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and with all the other associated issues of raising a baby, firstly, and then raising a baby needing medical attention, sometimes hourly.

Some days, it's more than hourly. One particular day: 100 spasms.

But there he is, Marissa's Dad, or, as he is known: marissas dad, reading Twilight. For me. His little brother.

Stop the Presses!

No comments: